Our favourite Apple Mac Keyboard Shortcuts…
Everyone loves a time-saving keyboard shortcut to use on your Mac. Here are some of North London Mac Support’s favourites. If you know of any keyboard commands that are not listed why not get in touch and tell us – we might even offer a reward for the best one we receive!
⌘+space to bring up the Spotlight Search.
- ⌘ + R – Reveals the selected item in a new Finder window.
- ⌘ + I – Info window shows for the selected item.
- ⌘ + ⇧ + > – Shows/Hides hidden files in the dialog
- ⌘+ F – cursor jumps to the Find text field
- / or ~ – Opens a Go To Folder dialogue.
- ⌘ + D or ⌘ ⇧ D – selects the ~/Desktop folder as a destination
- ⌘ + ⌥ + L – selects ~/Downloads folder as a destination
- ⌘ + ⇧ + O – selects ~/Documents folder as a destination
- ⌘ + ⌥ + S – Shows/Hides sidebar
- ⌘ . or esc – Cancels and closes the dialog window
While CMD tabbing between applications, without releasing CMD, you can hit Q to quit or H to hide the selected application. Works great when used with your mouse if you want to quit multiple applications quickly.
Maneuvering in text fields:
- ctrl+A: beginning of line.
- ctrl+E: end of line.
- ctrl+U: delete from cursor to beginning of line.
- ctrl+K: delete from cursor to end of line.
- ctrl+W: erase word to the left.
- ctrl+T: transpose characters around cursor.
With your cursor over a word, press ctrl+⌘+D to get a definition.
- ⌘+⇧+3 Capture entire screen and save as a file
- ⌘+ctrl+⇧+3 Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard
- ⌘+⇧+4 Capture dragged area and save as a file
- ⌘+ctrl+⇧+4 Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard
- ⌘+⇧+4 then space Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file
- ⌘+ctrl+⇧+4 then space Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard
- Hold space while drawing a capture area to reposition it.
- Press esc while capturing an area or window to exit capture mode.
- ⌥+Brightness: Displays
- ⌥+Exposé/Dashboard: Exposé and Spaces
- ⌥+Mute/Volume: Sound
- ⌥+Keyboard Brightness: Keyboard (for Macs with backlit keyboards)
Power / Sleep:
- ctrl + ⏏ Shows the shut down dialog. Type R to restart, S to sleep
- ctrl + ⌥ + ⌘ + ⏏ Shuts the computer down
- ⌥ + ⌘ + ⏏ sends computer to sleep
- ⇧ + ctrl + ⏏ send display only to sleep (great for locking your computer instantly)
- ctrl + ⌘ + ⏏ restarts the Mac
- ⌥ + ⌘ + esc lets you kill not responding programs (including the Finder)
- ⌘ + , gets you to preferences of almost every program